Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Shannon (shendrix@escape.widomaker.com)
Sat, 15 Aug 1998 00:27:48 -0400

In message <Pine.HPP.3.91.980813093927.1464B-100000@gaia.ecs.csus.edu>, "Jon M.
Taylor" writes:

> > > The situation *is* really quite simple. Video drivers belong in
> > >the kernel.
> > >
> > >Jon
> >
> > Just for information :
> >
> > Other unices ( IRIX and Solaris at least ) have gfx drivers.
>
> Yep. When GGI people have spoken to users of other Unices in the
> past about the Linux video driver situation, we have gotten a lot of
> strange looks (well, the equivalent over e-mail anyway). The idea that
> putting video drivers in the OS was _controversial_ *really* blew people's
> minds. In the rest of the world, this is not even an issue for debate.

It would also blow their mind to find out how many different graphics
cards are supported under Linux.

Most of those other UNIX support only proprietary graphics cards or a
limited set of 3rd party hardware. Most of their drivers are fairly
conservative as well.

I have yet to see another UNIX has does video drivers in any way
I would like Linux to follow.

Also, even though they have drivers in the kernel, most are not
required to run X. I've removed video drivers from DEC UNIX and
it still works just fine, even with X.

DEC UNIX kernel has video drivers, but you don't even have to match
the kernel driver with the driver for X, so its a loose thing at best.

The only requirement is that the card be VGA compatible. If the
driver is for the wrong card, but kernel boots up in 80x25 VGA
text mode.

Ironically, this is better than the tiny fonts and slow screen you
get with the correct driver.

Not saying GGI is a bad idea, just that other UNIX are not doing
things the way GGI does. IMHO, GGI is better than what I have seen.

--
csh - shendrix@widomaker.com - http://www.widomaker.com - Linux 2.0.x
"Those who trade liberty for security will have neither -- B.F."