Re: msdos FS bug

Phillip R. Jaenke (prj@nls.net)
Mon, 6 Jul 1998 19:38:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 6 Jul 1998 nicholas@binary9.net wrote:

> Are you sure about this? (The no dirty flag). My Win95/98 knows when I
> turn off the computer without shutting it down first and does a scandisk
> when it comes up.

A friend and I have checked into this.

If somebody knows of a 'touch' utility for DOS/Win95, you can get around
it. The 'dirty flag' for Win95 (OSR2 and later only) is actually the
registry. Upon shutdown, it updates the registry, applying the time of
shutdown as the timestamp. Somewhere, it stores the timestamp of the
shutdown. If they don't match, it assumes a bad shutdown, and runs
scandisk/ndd.

--Phillip R. Jaenke (prj@nls.net - InterNIC: PRJ5)
TheGuyInCharge(tm), Ketyra Designs, Inc.
"That's IT! I'm gonna slap Dr.Watson with a malpractice suit!!" --Keihra
ObBob! KHpB lWulH EO m23 C(PEW) B-18 OlO LM(p) ScjnM T++ A9! H8oc b123 D+
! I reserve the right to bill spammers for my time and disk space !