Where to put RAID (was Re: LVM etc... biggest thread in history)

Shawn Leas (sleas@ixion.honeywell.com)
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 18:22:18 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 30 Jun 1998, David Lang wrote:

> how about the following division of responsibility.
>
> filesystem
> needs to know how to grow/shrink on command in the device it is on
>
> LVM
> presents a single device to the filesystem and handles the details of
> allocating/dealocating sections of lower level devices (similar to the md append
> mode, but dynamicly adjustable)
>
> raid drivers/low level drivers
> handles the raid specifics (striping, etc) and physical device access.
>
> This sort of seperation would keep the raid details out of the LVM (where they
> are not needed if you have a hardware raid system) and lets the filesystem work
> on stuff as if it is all on one device (for the cases where the LVM puts
> todeather chunks from several devices)

It seems natural to have software RAID and striping in the LVM, or at
least to me. I might be wrong, but having this one "entity" to deal with
"disks" in a plethora of ways is pretty nice. Remember, LVM is a Logical
Volume Manager, that in effect "Manages" the way physical "extents"
translate into logical devices.

Is striping/mirroring/RAID not a behavioral aspect of the above handling?
Please do not take the question as rheotrical, as I do welcome your idea.
I just don't fully understand the reasoning behind it. My thoughts were
that layers have a natural seperation, and I just didn't see it there,
although your idea might be the "Right Thing To Do".

-Shawn