Re: Script to verify software levels

Mr. James W. Laferriere (babydr@nwrain.net)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 20:44:52 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Keith, The one thing I have noticed is when running
this script on a system with 2.1.104 & then on 2.1.105 the
-required's- in Documentation/Changes are -very- differant.

My point being that until I get & unpack 2.1.222 I'll not know
what will be 'required / Highly recommended' .

I have another concern, What happens when 'Documentation/Changes'
get's a serious upgrade to reflect a -new- set of required's, the
old set are quite probably still necessary plus the new set. How
'If I'm a newby' do I get to find out that this now 'older' set of
required's is still needed ???

Big recomendation let us just build & maintain a document for
kernel xx.yy.zz that has -all- the real "required's" and then
just update it as a new kernel comes out. I for one -DO- at
least glance thru the files in 'linux/Documentation' .

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Keith Owens wrote:
> Fed up of seeing posts from people who have not checked their software
> is at the required level for 2.1 kernels. The attached script reads
> Documentation/Changes and attempts to automatically verify the software
> levels. Please hit on the script, mail bugs/changes to kaos@ocs.com.au
> (not the list) then I can get it in the kernel.
>
> In future we will never see complaints from people who have not checked
> their software. Well, I can hope anyway.
Tia, JimL
| James W. Laferriere - Network Engineer - babydr@nwrain.net |
| System Techniques - 25416 - 22nd S. - Kent, WA 98032 |
| Give me VMS -or- Give me Linux -but- only on AXP |