RE: Rain & Waterfall

Russell Berry (russ@berrex.com)
Sun, 28 Jun 1998 15:24:02 -0400 (EDT)

This message is in MIME format
--_=XFMail.1.3.p0.Linux:980628152402:11623=_

I found a package that does it for my Cyrix 233MMX, you can actually hear the
fans speed up when your compiling or anything cpu intensive, and my whole
system stays a LOT cooler. Between two 4.5G 7200rpm scsi drives and a big chip
pulling full power, your computer turns into a small furnace, I've got 4 fans
in my system, not counting the one on the chips itself. I'm attaching the .lsm
for the package. Good luck...

---russ

On 28-Jun-98 Jordan Mendelson wrote:
> I was browsing some web pages on CPU cooling and I found a reference to two
> programs called rain and waterfall. They claim to lower your CPU's temp by
> up to 30 C and in some cases, extend the power on a laptops battery by up to
> 30 minutes.
>
> The FAQ says they do this by sending the HLT command to idle parts of the
> CPU, thereby putting them into suspend mode causing them to stop generating
> heat.
>
> Has anyone thought of implementing such a thing in the linux kernel? Their
> webpage is:
>
> http://cpu.simplenet.com/leading_wintech/
>

> Jordan
>
> --
> Jordan Mendelson : http://jordy.wserv.com
> Web Services, Inc. : http://www.wserv.com
>

> -

Immortality -- a fate worse than death.
-- Edgar A. Shoaff

russ@berrex.com

--_=XFMail.1.3.p0.Linux:980628152402:11623=_
charset=us-ascii; name=set6x86-1.5.lsm; SizeOnDisk=1049

Begin3
Title: Cyrix/IBM 6x86 CPU configuration tool
Version: 1.5
Entered-date: 14DEC97
the 6x86 (Classic, L, MX) CPUs. These include special
memory areas (important for e.g. graphics cards), I/O delays,
cache write policy (WB/WT), write-gathering, and an
automatic power-down mode when a HALT instruction is executed.
A utility to display 6x86 registers and model/revision is
included, as well as a short kernel patch that correctly
identifies Cyrix 6x86 CPUs in /proc/cpuinfo.
Primary-site: sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/Misc
27Kb set6x86-1.5.tar.gz
1Kb set6x86-1.5.lsm
Alternate-site:
Platforms: Linux 2.x with 6x86 CPUs.
Copying-policy: GPL
End

--_=XFMail.1.3.p0.Linux:980628152402:11623=_--
End of MIME message