Re: [patch] Alpha setup.c was forgotten

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:54:45 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Pre-patch 108 forgot to revert /proc damage.
> BTW, should the samba.anu.edu.au system be in a Bcc or Cc?

Applied.

And no, I'd prefer small "fixes of the day" to make it into just email
first. I can handle them more efficiently because I don't need to look for
things in multiple places (website and my "kernel-patches" mailbox), and I
don't need to bother with marking them applied etc.

HOWEVER, my normal mailbox is most convenient for me exactly because it is
so "uncontrolled", and that is also what occasionally means that the
patches never get applied, or similar problems. So I'd prefer the
samba.any.edu.au tracking system:

- for patches that are non-trivial (ie things I may have to actually
think about - when that happens my mailbox becomes a much more risky
proposition)

- patches that you feel that I have already overlooked, and that you
suspect didn't make it through my mailbox alive.

but if you have a small thing like this patch, I'd certainly prefer to
first see it in email, and if I react to it within days I'd rather then
not later see it at all on the patch web-site because then it would just
have cluttered up the "more important" patches there.

Also, please realize that I read email every day (modulo travels etc), and
that I look at the website only twice a week or something like that
(unless somebody marks some patch urgent on the web-site, in which case I
get personal notification about it - in email). So if you think the
web-site is a "fast-track to Linus", that's not how it works. It's more a
"stately but much more dependable" track.

Hope that clarified the issue (and linux-kernel Cc'd to let others know my
feelings on this too).

Linus