Re: Weird spelling fixes in 2.1.107

Mark H. Wood (mwood@mhw.OIT.IUPUI.EDU)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:44:58 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Tethys wrote:
[deletia]
> >To break code because someone did not like the way cpu & fpu were
> >capitalized is lunacy.
>
> No, to give clients an untested development kernel that's only been out
> for a few days is lunacy, and I'm afraid I have little sympathy for you.

I have *some* sympathy because there are *two* problems here:

1. Someone who is trying out an OS for the first time should not be
using an experimental kernel, true. HOWEVER:

2. Public interfaces shouldn't be incompatibly changed without a good
reason and plenty of warning.

I feel that it is the confusion of these two separate issues that makes
this incident particularly controversial.

> PS. Aside from anything else, this episode show the folly of parsing
> text from /proc -- a programatic interface to get kernel information
> would have been unaffected by this, as well as being more efficient.

Agreed. The person who made the change seems to have been thinking of how
/proc/xxx *should* be used, not how it is *actually* used. Is there a
sysctl(2) for this information? (If you *must* do the work in a script,
first write sysctl(1) to support it.)

Nothing is so dangerous as being too modern.  One is apt to grow old-fashioned
quite suddenly.  -- Oscar Wilde