Re: Weird spelling fixes in 2.1.107

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 21:38:59 +1000

David S. Miller writes:

> Look at the top of the file you are changing to see who the maintainer
> is, if not listed in the MAINTAINERS file. I thought this was common
> sense, and it is why Martin is so ticked about not getting notified
> because his name is in fact at the top of every source file you
> changes which he had some gripe with.
>
> I really am getting ticked as well about these gratuitous
> spelling/grammer changes. If I put fucking "Uh-huh" in a comment, it
> is a part of my personality and my style and I wanted it there just
> like that, and there is no good reason to remove it. This is getting
> out of control.

I agree. We have to remember that these spelling "fixes" are *not
important* and there is definately *no hurry*. So instead of sending
in a mega-patch during a code freeze (!), which is *bound* to break
something, no matter how careful you are, why not send the maintainers
a *suggested* spelling patch. Then the maintainer can send it to
Linus. Sure, this is going to take longer, but *what's the hurry?*

Also, spelling changes should be limited to comments. Always. Hands
off the code.

Regards,

Richard....