Re: (reiserfs) Re: LVM / Filesystems / High availability

Michael Marxmeier (mike@msede.com)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 12:08:15 +0200

Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> MD can provide the real block devices.
>
> LVM can be a user-space abstraction. All your admin tools would
> work in terms of an LVM, perhaps defined in /etc/lvm.conf.
> The kernel filesystem code uses multiple block devices, but you
> don't have to know that.

MD does provide only one level of LVM functionality (physical
volume handling) while LVM also provides volume groups and
logical volumes (the actual block devices). When using MD
to provide physical volumes we would need multiple mapping
in the kernel (LV -> PE -> PV).
In addition using a separate MD layer requires a sepapare
administration concept. If you're hiding MD from the user you
could as well merge it into LVM.

Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software GmbH
E-Mail: mike@msede.com      Besenbruchstrasse 9