Re: Secure-linux and standard kernel

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@cygnus.com)
24 Jun 1998 21:18:53 -0700

MOLNAR Ingo <mingo@valerie.inf.elte.hu> writes:

> btw, is there no room in say elf32_hdr to include 64 bits somehow? This
> way we could load the physical capabilities mask in the kernel, before
> _any_ user-space code is executed, in load_elf_binary().

The only place is the NOTE section. It allows arbitrary data to be
stored and it is easy to add more data to this section when creating a
binary. The only problem is to efficiently read this section. Glibc
binaries should have it on the first page but you have to look at the
section header first.

If this has only to be done for SUID binaries it is acceptable and
quite easy to implement in the kernel.