Re: BUG FIX modules problems

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 00:09:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Greg Zornetzer wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Richard Hirst wrote:
> > This patch fixes the problems people have been seeing when trying to
> > load modules in 2.1.1xx kernels. The problem is that the MMU ATC entries
> > don't get flushed on the switch to modprobe. I don't think this is an
> > m68k specific problem - there have been similar problems reported on
> > linux-kernel. I am not sure this patch is in the best place, but it is
> > effective.
> >
> > Richard.
> [patch snipped]
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> Which set of problems with kmod was this supposed to fix? Only because
> the "Error -512" problems were the only ones that I had heard about on
> any arch. These were caused by unblocked signals causing the wait to
> terminate prematurely. I posted a fix for this a week back.

One of the symptoms was that `ifconfig' almost always gave segmentation faults
when kmod tried to load the missing protocol modules. Under strace it works
sometimes, the same under gdb (yep, MMU ATC flushes are hard to debug).

Thanks to Richard's patch, all my module problems are gone.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be