Re: Thread implementations...

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:50:30 +1200

On Wed, Jun 24, 1998 at 10:30:00AM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:

> The last time I tried non-blocking I/O on a regular file, it still
> blocked :-( This was with Linux 2.1.x.

I just looked at the fs code briefly and don't see anything to handle
O_NONBLOCK for regular files.

In fact... I'm not even sure how easy this would be to add to the kernel as
you would really need a kernel thread for each outstanding request (this is
starting to go in circles).

I was looking into this for sendfile(2), which can have similar constraints
and requirements.

-Chris