Re: Thread implementations...

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@valerie.inf.elte.hu)
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 00:57:43 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 23 Jun 1998, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> > You currently can't poll for when a regular file delivers the block of
> > data you asked for. I'm not aware of any UNIX that supports this.
> > This is a whole new can of worms than the implementation of completion
> > ports/whatever.
>
> This is just asynch i/o. I'd be surprised if any of the commercial unixes
> lack it.

FYI, async i/o is in glibc 2.1 already, according to Richard Hendersson
(who wrote that code :) it works for all the testcases and actually needs
some RL usage ... async i/o was the main reason behind the signal handling
rewrite in recent 2.1 kernels.

> You write/read a buffer, and control returns immediately. Some
> unspecified time later, when the write/read completes, your program is
> informed either via a completion port (NT), or via a function you passed
> to the kernel (VMS).

or via a RT queued signal (Linux).

-- mingo