Re: undeletable files in /lost+found

tytso@mit.edu
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 18:50:27 -0400

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <ptb@it.uc3m.es>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:46:06 +0200 (MET DST)

It is quite possible for ext2 to get into a state where it creates
files that can't be deleted. I don't mean "immutable" - i.e. no hidden
bit tricks. Really, honestly can't be deleted. The same is true of
solaris, btw. The above snatch looks familiar to anyone who has seen
a corrupt FS on solaris!

The e2fsck in the upcoming e2fsprogs 1.12 release will be deal with
these sorts of file. There's an beta-test release available now in
/pub/linux/ALPHA/ext2fs on tsx-11. I have a few more compatibility
problems that people have reported (with versions of glibc newer than
what comes with RedHat --- sigh), but we should have a final 1.12
release out soon.

- Ted