Re: keyboard raw mode?

Myrdraal (myrdraal@jackalz.dyn.ml.org)
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 07:51:01 -0400

On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 06:46:54AM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
Hi,
> Myrdraal writes:
> > On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 04:24:53AM -0400, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> >> Such abnormal keyboard behavior should be associated with the file
> >> descriptor, not the device. Then we wouldn't need the huge collection
> >> of ugly hacks that knowledgeable users use to restore the console.
> > Why go through all that sort of complicated stuff when a
> > simple alt-sysrq-r will do the trick?
> 1. It is not user-friendly to _ever_ get into that state.
> If you find a way to get out of the state, you have
> solved the wrong problem. Users don't want magic escape
> tricks for a condition that should never happen.
Hmm, what happened to that 'enough rope to hang yourself' motto? :)
> 2. From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Configure.help:
> "Don't say Y unless you really know what this hack does."
Well, I kind of disagree with that, I find it a hugely useful feature.
> (that config option is an intentional security hole)
For someone on the console, yes. But there are alot of other things you
can do if you have console access. (Also, I don't think you could do more
than a DoS with it.) Enabling it/disabling it via a /proc file on the fly
would probably be good, though.
> To a user, your "complicated" and "simple" are backwards.
> You have become used to obscure keyboard sequences, so you
> see them as "simple".
Hmm, it's documented in Documentation/sysrq.txt.
> It's important to avoid becoming blind
> to the flaws you see every day. Did you know Windows 95 is
> a reliable operating system? Computers always crash...
> Let's not solve flaws by getting accustomed to them.
You may be right.
-Myrdraal