Re: Header files and interfaces

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 23:21:39 -0400

Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 16:35:32 -0400
From: Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com>

tytso@mit.edu <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> The same arguments generalize to other header files and applications.
> For example, multiple programs need linux/serial.h --- maintaining n
> different copies of the manifest constants for the n programs that
> need to make serial ioctl's simply makes no sense. And again, it
> doesn't seem to make any sense to copy them to the glibc header files
> since they are extremely Linux kernel specific, and the interface is
> defined by the Linux kernel, not by glibc.

Last time I checked, ioctl was defined in libc. Yeah, it's just a
lightweight cover for a kernel call, but that's hardly unusual.

There does need to be a systematic way of getting the defined constants
for ioctl, but that's different from removing ioctl from libc.

[And, in principle, libc *could* map constants from one set of values to
another...]

But it doesn't. In practice, the interface is defined by the kernel,
not by glibc.

And that's a good thing, considering how much trust I currently have in
the glibc folk's ability to keep a backwards-compatible interface. :-(

- Ted