re: Limits in the kernel

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:00:37 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, J'aime Fournier wrote:

> Well you could lower the MAX_TASKS_PER_USER in
> /usr/src/linux/include/tasks.h
> To somethine more reasonable like 50 or so.
> The default is 256.
>
> I have a patch I made to setup a /proc/secure/maxtasks
> Using sysctl to change the MAX_TASKS_PER_USER on the fly.

Note that you may want to run more processes for
priviledged users like root, mail, news, http...

To do that, you would probably need 3 tunable
values:
- 'high' limit
- 'normal' limit
- UID under which the low level applies, and above it the high

So: '256 50 100' would mean: a limit of 256 processes
for UID <= 100 and a limit of 50 processes for UIDs
> 100. This, of course, assumes that you allocate real
UIDs above 100 processes...

Another possibility is to use a program like lshell (which
can be found on sunsite.unc.edu:/pub/linux/system/[shells or
admin or ???])...

With that little program you can tune resource usage _per_
user. You can tune:
- maximum number of processes
- maximum memory footprint
- maximum number of open fds
- maximum CPU usage

This will give you a more flexible solution that keeps
everything out of the kernel. This way you can have user
mail unlimited, httpd 96 processes, news 128, normal
users 50 processes and your local annoying user from hell
8 processes and 5MB max ram usage :-)

Rik.