Re: error in onboard IDE

Kastus Shchuka (pike@usis.minsk.by)
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:04:41 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Elton M. Labajo wrote:

> Hello there, well its been 5 months since I got this Error Messages in
> our Linux Box here in our Office and I've got nothing to run to or to
> ask for help and fortunately I keep on browsing on the kernel source
> directory and I found the file MAINTAINERS. Before I post the actual
> error messages, here's the actual setting in our Office. We use Linux as
> our internet gateway and DNS, router and Mail Server, of course this
> server is up for 24 hours and everytime it reaches or shall I say its up
> time is longer an error message will display on the console and when
> I reboot the Linux Box it errors and needs to fsck or e2fsck. I doubt
> that the buggy part is at the server's harddrive(seagate 2G) bec.
> Seagate harddrive overheats too much. here is the actual error messages
> I got from syslog file.
> ------------------------------start-----------------------------------------------------------
>
> Jun 20 09:42:35 apocalypse kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 03:02):
> ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Wrong free blocks count for group 21, stored =
> 1, counted = 2

[SNIP]

> Jun 20 10:36:32 apocalypse kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 03:02):
> ext2_check_inodes_bitmap: Wrong free inodes count in super block, stored
> = 454118, counted = 454121
> ---------------------end------------------------------------
>
> There is also another error messages in the console but sad to say I
> cant catch it, but I'm sure it says something about ide0: {seek error}
> the message says something is wrong to the ide0 part, well ide0 is an
> internal ide0 from our server pentium MMX motherboard. Furthermore to
> prove this bug we have to servers running at the same uptime and the
> same kernel versions(2.0.34) but different motherboards one with the
> error msg is PC partner and the other is branded Intel motherboard(both
> are Intel based motherboards). I beleive that the buggy part is in the
> hardware internal ide0, well of course I would like to ask if there is a
> patch in this error.
>

> Thanks, I beleive in the
> Linux Community support
>

> Thank you again,
>
> Elton
>

> -

I believe your problem is with iffy SIMMs. I experienced similar problems
on my internet gateway (P166, iwill motherboard with imbedded AIC7780, 2G
Compaq harddrive, 64 MB RAM) One more manifestation of the problem was
when copying large (10MB+) file. I also suspected hard drive problem, even
installed an extra fan inside te case. The copy differed from the
original. The SIMMs used were non-parity. Now I installed ECC SIMMs and no
more problem. What's curious, those non-parity SIMMs work fine in another
box under Win95. (Or M$ doesn't make that extensive use of memory?)