Re: Thread implementations...

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 13:45:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Just how much time do you think scheduling is taking???

I care more about cache pollution. That is a side-effect of
context-switching which isn't entirely obvious from the context-switch
cost itself.

> It only needs to be done "right" once. In a library. Heck, I might
> even modify my own FD management library code to do this just to prove
> the point. Write once, use many!
> Note that even the "complex" migration is optional: simply dividing up
> FDs equally between N threads is a win.
> Having migration between a small number of threads is going to be a
> *real* win.

Right, and if you'll release this in a license other than GPL (i.e. LGPL
or MPL) so that it can be reused in non-GPL code (i.e. NSPR which is NPL),
that would be most excellent. (acronyms rewl).

> This involves kernel bloat. It seems to me that there is such a simple
> userspace solution, so why bother hacking the kernel?

I don't think the userspace solution is as fast as the event queue
solution.

Dean