Re: Use tmpfs for shm_open()?

Richard Gooch (Richard.Gooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 01:57:37 +1000

Eric W. Biederman writes:

> RG> Hi, all. A random thought just popped into my head today: how about
> RG> implementing a tmpfs which could then be used as the basis of a simple
> RG> userspace (libc) implementation of POSIX shared memory, aka.
> RG> shm_open().
>
> RG> We could kill two birds with one stone, giving a tmpfs to those who
> RG> believe it's faster than ext2fs :-), and giving us POSIX SHM too.
>
> Plus resource limits could be quotas.
> I called it shmfs because the emphasis is on being able to do shm_open..
>
> Look at http://www.npwt.net/~ebiederm/files
> and get
> shmfs-0.1.009.tar.gz
> and code me that user space implementation please.

Oh. Well done. I must have missed this bit of signal amongst all the
noise. Looks like my idea was sensible (just not original:-).

When do you plan to submit shmfs (somehow I think it's better
described as a memfs or a vmfs, I think shmfs is a bit too specific,
like tmpfs) to Linus?

Regards,

Richard....