Re: error in onboard IDE

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 23:38:00 -0500

Elton M. Labajo wrote:

> Hello there, well its been 5 months since I got this Error Messages in
> our Linux Box here in our Office and I've got nothing to run to or to
> ask for help and fortunately I keep on browsing on the kernel source
> directory and I found the file MAINTAINERS. Before I post the actual
> error messages, here's the actual setting in our Office. We use Linux as
> our internet gateway and DNS, router and Mail Server, of course this
> server is up for 24 hours and everytime it reaches or shall I say its up
> time is longer an error message will display on the console and when
> I reboot the Linux Box it errors and needs to fsck or e2fsck. I doubt
> that the buggy part is at the server's harddrive(seagate 2G) bec.
> Seagate harddrive overheats too much. here is the actual error messages
> I got from syslog file.

You mention below that servers are running 2.0.34. It is late here so
forgive the next question.

Is the system having the error also running 2.0.34?

You also do not mention whether this server is Uni-Processor or SMP.
That information would also be helpful to have.

You mention below two different motherboards, is the 'PC partner' having
the problem?

Since you have two systems and one is having problems, and other is not
having
problems why are you ruling out hardware failure in this case the hard
drive?

> ------------------------------start------
>
> Jun 20 09:42:35 apocalypse kernel: EXT2-fs error (device 03:02):
> ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Wrong free blocks count for group 21, stored =
> 1, counted = 2
<snip>
> ---------------------end------------------------------------

The error is specific to /dev/hdb2.
What is the mount point for /dev/hdb2?

> There is also another error messages in the console but sad to say I
> cant catch it, but I'm sure it says something about ide0: {seek error}
> the message says something is wrong to the ide0 part, well ide0 is an
> internal ide0 from our server pentium MMX motherboard. Furthermore to
> prove this bug we have to servers running at the same uptime and the
> same kernel versions(2.0.34) but different motherboards one with the
> error msg is PC partner and the other is branded Intel motherboard(both
> are Intel based motherboards). I beleive that the buggy part is in the
> hardware internal ide0, well of course I would like to ask if there is a
> patch in this error.

Again I have to ask.
Two different motherboards running the same kernel version
one has errors and one does not. Why are you ruling out hardware
failure?
Have you swapped hard drives between servers?
If you have swapped hard drives does the problem move with the hard
drive
or not?

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt and all the milk has turned and Captain Crunch is waving farewell when the Big One finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell ==Breakfast==Newsboys