Re: striping (RAID0) performance ?

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 22:22:56 -0500

Davide Rossetti wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm testing RAID0 performance of my linux box and I'm not really
> impressed. I seem to get something around 10 MB/s towards a 2 aic7xxx
> controllers, 4 disks setup.
> some simple benchmark results are available at:
> <A HREF="http://apemaia.roma1.infn.it/~rossetti/testraid3.txt">
> Could someone explain to me why aren't they so exciting ?
>
> It seems that the md driver is only remapping sectors, not using any
> I/O overlapping. this way the performance gain is marginal.
> Am I wrong ?

In looking at your Web Page I would suggest that you upgrade the aic7xxx
driver to version 5.0.14. The 4.1.1 version driver caused several
problems
for me, which went away when I upgraded.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt and all the milk has turned and Captain Crunch is waving farewell when the Big One finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell ==Breakfast==Newsboys