Re: Thread implementations...

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 18:24:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Alex Belits wrote:

> Or threading is a workaround for lack of proper nonblocking I/O handling
> in applications. Multithreading and nonblocking I/O are two opposite
> concepts when it comes to I/O handling.

They're orthogonal concepts, not opposite. non-blocking I/O is one way to
implement a userland thread library; and a way to implement a hybrid
user/kernel library. Is that what you meant?

Like you allude to, using blocking I/O exclusively can actually be
somewhat of a crutch. Remember for each thread, (user, kernel, or hybrid)
you have a stack, plus a structure that describes the thread. Multiply
that by the number of I/O streams in progress and you really start
threatening your L2 cache... once you've got more active data than your L2
cache can hold performance drops off drastically.

Dean