Re: Journaled FS

Adam D. Bradley (artdodge@cs.bu.edu)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:08:45 -0400 (EDT)

On 19 Jun 1998, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> For 2.3 I should have a generic facility for having writeable pages
> in the page cache. This nearly eliminates the need for a buffer
> cache, though it isn't on my immediate hit list. I'm putting the
> finishing touches on a pgflush kernel daemon now.
>
> With a LVM and similiar you also need to much around with where
> filesystems get their blocks from, and the caching thereof.
>
> Depending on how a LVM is implemented it might be worthwhile to
> coordinate our efforts.

Indeed. I would be interested in any white papers or other documents
describing how your architecture works, what interface it will present
to filesystems, etc.

LFS's require the ability to change a buffer's "physical association"
i.e., when a buffer is dirtied it must (a) not be written back to its
original location and (b) eventually be assigned a new block location.
I would imagine the LVM layer would require a similar capability for
the physical volume removal case at least. How well would your
interface cope with this?

Adam

--
You crucify all honesty             \\Adam D. Bradley  artdodge@cs.bu.edu
No signs you see do you believe      \\Boston University Computer Science