Re: Searching for maintainers: dual monitor patches, bdflush

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 19:15:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > Bdflush is obsolete. You should adapt kflushd (the
> > in-kernel bdflush) instead...
>
> Bdflush is not obsolete. Kflushd will only flush buffers to disk if
> you are very low on memory. You still need something that flushes old
> buffers to disk.

Hmm, you seem to be right indeed :( Upon reading the
code I saw, much to my dismay, that bdflush doesn't
write out dirty buffers all by itself (unless I skipped
a vital part of code :)...

I guess this means I'll have to recode bdflush then,
in order to write out the sutff that needs to be
written out...

It's quite easy, since buffers can have a certain age
and all we need to do is to set the wake_up time to
now + buffer_write_time IF the last wakeup time was
earlier than now OR the last wakeup time is larger
than now + buffer_write_time. (wow, it's even jiffie-wrap
safe :)

Rik.