Re: Y2K

Fri, 19 Jun 1998 12:58:47 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 20 Jun 1998, Alan Modra wrote:
[SNIPPED]

> > This is in the get_cmos_time procedure. I don't think your patch was
> > here. This code fixes the fact that the CMOS clock doesn't update the
> > BCD Century byte on its own.
>
> Well, in those days the file concerned was kernel/time.c. arch/* hadn't
> been invented because the kernel was i386 only. There wasn't a
> get_cmos_time() either. Things have changed a bit since then...
>
> I can send you the patch if you really want to see whether I fixed it
> right or not ;-)

No, no. It's fine. I had been involved in the problems of the CMOS
timer chip (way back), so I remember about the fix for the century
byte. Timezone problems are now (hopefully) handled outside the
kernel via the /usr/lib/zoneinfo... interface. You upside-down
guys even have your own file <grin>.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.105 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).