Re: Kernel Spam

Aaron T Porter (atporter@entropy.muc.muohio.edu)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 11:44:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

> The list owner could implement a filter that deletes all
> messages that don't have the list's address in the To:
> or Cc: header.
> It worked for me and filtered out _all_ off the spam
> messages last month... (instead, I got them in my INBOX)

Why, when 95% of the "Unwanted E-Mail" on this list is people
complaining about a few messages a month?

> The argument that it breaks local 2-way mail->news
> exploders is moot, since the administrators of those
> lists can easily modify their software to put the
> linux-kernel address in the Cc: header...

It's a matter of breaking the fewest things. When we have
persistant spam problems (we get one quite regularly and have for
some time) actions are taken to stop things on the vger side. I
am also looking into upgrading to a newer version of Majordomo
which will fix a bunch of problems as well (like the ability to
remove linux-kernel-outgoing, etc.) But which is more important,
catching less than 1% of the traffic which is unsolicited and
commercial, or keeping the list open and accessable to everyone?
You've already posted a quite functional way for users to filter
out their own mailboxes if they so desire, let's leave it at that
for a while.