Re: Y2K

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:54:56 +0200 (MET DST)

Richard B. Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Densin Roy. wrote:

> > What is first kernel and first libc that Y2K complaint?

> Neither the kernel nor the C runtime library cares anything about
> the year 2000. It is just a number presented for humans to read as
> the internal time is parsed into ss:mm:hh:mm:dd:yyyy, etc.

This is not true. The question is: since when is THIS code snippet
in the linux kernel?

linux/arch/i386/kernel/time.c: get_cmos_time:

if ((year += 1900) < 1970)
year += 100;

> Problems will occur at (I think I remember) the year 2054 because
> the time_t integer is not large enough. By that time, we should all have
> 256-bit machines so the problem should go away.

The date is in 2038. That's when there have been 2^31 seconds since
1970. With some hacks, we will be able to buy ourselves another 68
years by using the 32nd bit too (loosing support for negative
times: 1902-1970).

Roger.

--
Actor asks a collegue: "To what do you owe your success in acting?"
Answer: "Honesty. Once you've learned how to fake that, you've got it made."