Re: e2fs + large disk == slug?

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:00:17 +0200 (MET DST)

Mark Lehrer wrote:

> > 3) To shorten the amount of time to mount a filesystem, you can use the
> > mount option "check=none". This will stop the filesystem from doing
> > a sanity check over the inode and block bitmaps, which can take
> > quite a bit of time on large filesystems.
>
> How safe is this?
>
> In practice, I find that if the fs is marked as clean and unmounted
> correctly, a forced fsck (either manually or by setting times/mount counts
> with tune2fs) _never_ find anything much to bitch about...
>
> ... but, you never know.
>

> I personally feel comfortable enough with the forced fsck every so often;
> what is it, every 20th mount will force an fsck?

If you turn the machine off at the end of the day you will get an fsck
every 3 weeks or so (unless you are kernel-developing and rebooting
much more often). Fine.

If you have a server that runs 24/24 then you will get much less
frequent checks. Even the "check after <date>" might not get
triggered for months.

Anyway, the "nocheck" might mean that it doesn't check if all the
superblocks are the same. That is not all that important. Have it
check that the first two times you mount it, but after that there is
nothing that should be changing them. ....

Roger.

--
Actor asks a collegue: "To what do you owe your success in acting?"
Answer: "Honesty. Once you've learned how to fake that, you've got it made."