Re: Y2K

Fri, 19 Jun 1998 08:39:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 19 Jun 1998, Densin Roy. wrote:

> Dear
> What is first kernel and first libc that Y2K complaint?
>
> densin Roy.

It is the application that may, or may not, be Y2K compliant. The
kernel keeps time as a longword containing the number of seconds
since the birthday of Unix. If further divides these seconds up
into microseconds when needed.

Neither the kernel nor the C runtime library cares anything about
the year 2000. It is just a number presented for humans to read as
the internal time is parsed into ss:mm:hh:mm:dd:yyyy, etc.

Problems will occur at (I think I remember) the year 2054 because
the time_t integer is not large enough. By that time, we should all have
256-bit machines so the problem should go away.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.105 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).