Re: Searching for maintainers: dual monitor patches, bdflush

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 20:18:05 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> I'm searching for bdflush maintainer: I've created new version of
> bdflush (1.6.2) based on bdflush-1.5, which adds sleep
> support. (Bdflush will decide to spin disks down after some period of
> inactivity. Very usefull on notebooks.) I would like to propagate this
> into official tree...

Bdflush is obsolete. You should adapt kflushd (the
in-kernel bdflush) instead...

This shouldn't be too difficult, since disk-spindowns
are done via a kernel call. Then you can simply set a
flag on the spinup/down status of the disk in the
device struct (a pointer to which is also stored in
the buffer head).

Then you also want to use one of the switches in
/proc/sys/vm/bdflush (4th position is still free)
to turn the possibility on and off. Or maybe you
want a new file in /proc/sys/vm/ to control it...

Rik.