Re: Remote fork() and Parallel programming

Junichi Saito (linker@nightshade.ml.org)
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 13:07:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Joshua M. Yelon wrote:

> I've been following this discussion of parallel programming for some
> time. You don't seem to be asking yourselves: is this primitive
> useful for writing any real algorithms?

Okay.

> Try this: write a parallel matrix multiplier using DSM, then again
> using HPF. The HPF version will turn out both shorter and faster.

Never done it, but ill take your word for it..

> Then, write a parallel AI search application using DSM, then again
> using parallel prolog. The prolog version will turn out both shorter
> and faster.

Again

> Then, write a parallel N-body simulation using DSM. Then write it
> again using charm++. The charm++ version will be both shorter and
> faster.

Again.

> I would challenge you to find ANY problem that can be implemented in
> DSM, for which I can't find a better construct.

I challenge you to find any solution for which I couldn't find a problem
that was better solved differntly.

> You might argue that DSM is useful for implementing HPF, prolog, and
> charm++. But it's not true. We have implemented object-oriented
> languages using DSM, and we have implemented them using RPC, and the
> RPC is faster. We have implemented HPF using DSM, and we have
> implemented HPF using explicit generation message-passing code, and
> the latter is faster.

Faster on what? Certantly not faster on a smp computer.

Give facts, tell me *what* it was faster on.

(hey, and how about some URLs for the stuff you mentioned above, I havn't
heard of all of it).

> - Josh

Gregory Maxwell