Re: SYSENTER based syscalls patch, 2.1.105, RFC

Gabriel Paubert (paubert@iram.es)
Thu, 18 Jun 1998 09:44:52 +0200 (METDST)

On 17 Jun 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> There is a Celeron addendum to the Intel Architecture Software
> Development Manual -- Volume 2: Instruction Set Reference which
> documents these... you can find it as a PDF on Intel's web site. I'm
> afraid I don't have the document # handy.

Yep, I found it just after sending the previous mail. It is somewhere on
Intel's website in the Pentium II manuals and has the very descriptive
name 24369801.pdf (72kB) ;). This document describes FXSAVE/FXRSTOR and
SYSENTER/SYSEXIT.

The main problem with the AMD description on sandpile.org (which does not
use the same opcode and the same MSR numbers BTW), is that the stack
pointer is not changed.

Gabriel.