Re: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions

Stephen R. van den Berg (srb@cuci.nl)
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:45:01 +0200

David S. Miller wrote:
>1) The latency from adding a new (for example) flag bit to
> a structure and when user programs can actually get at it.

>2) The "just 'cp' it" argument is slightly parsimonious to me,
> if we could just 'cp' it, we wouldn't have kernel header
> file issues with glibc, changes do need to be made to make
> them "libc friendly" or whatnot, and here is where errors
> can be introduced

I guess, we now will need at least one new maintainer of a package called
"kernel->userland headers". It, most likely, will be a collection of
sed and awk scripts (maybe perl) which will run through the kernel tree,
creating a clean userland-useable tree.
It should adapt automatically to minor additions (like extra defines or
structs), it needs manual adaptation whenever files move.

--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).

Real programmers don't just die, they produce core dumps.