Re: [OFFTOPIC] Very amusing DNS...

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 20:30:18 -0700 (PDT)

We've had this discussion before, if you'll check your archives. long
story short, microsoft tests the behavior of their web clients against
various webservers including linux boxes running apache. This shouldn't
all that surprising, given that apache in its various forms is supposed to
account for forty something percent of all web pages served.

joelja

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Paul
Miller wrote:

> A couple of days ago, they had a web page up at
> http://linus.microsoft.com. Guess what it was -- The default page for
> Apache on a RedHat installation!
>
> hmm... I guess microsoft finally decided that windows was too unstable to
> run. Or, maybe they just wanted to steal some of the source code!
>
> -Paul
>
> On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Spirilis wrote:
>
> > Hmm...
> >
> > <root>:/root# nslookup 131.107.74.11 198.6.1.1
> > Server: cache00.ns.uu.net
> > Address: 198.6.1.1
> >
> > Name: linus.microsoft.com
> > Address: 131.107.74.11
> >

> > <root>:/root# nslookup linus.microsoft.com 198.6.1.1
> > Server: cache00.ns.uu.net
> > Address: 198.6.1.1
> >
> > Non-authoritative answer:
> > Name: linus.microsoft.com
> > Address: 131.107.74.11
> >
> > I wonder what MS uses that host for? ;-)
> >

> > -
> >

> -

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E