Re: e2fs + large disk == slug?

George (greerga@nidhogg.ham.muohio.edu)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:05:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Mark Lehrer wrote:

> 3) Mounting large filesystems takes a long time: 46 seconds / 12G
>
>I hadn't thought about that - but a filesystem that doesn't need
>checking should come on in just a couple of seconds...

>From mount man page:

check / check=normal / check=strict
Set checking level. When at least one of these
options is set (and check=normal is set by default)
the inodes and blocks bitmaps are checked upon
mount (which can take half a minute or so on a big
disk). With strict checking, block deallocation
checks that the block to free is in the data zone.

Now you can't do that for the root filesystem, but this might help:

under parse_options in super.c of ext2:

else if (!strcmp (this_char, "nocheck")) {
clear_opt (*mount_options, CHECK_NORMAL);
clear_opt (*mount_options, CHECK_STRICT);
}

Not sure if you can specify 'nocheck' on the boot line, but you could put
those lines of code in to prevent checks for (all of) your ext2
filesystems. I'm not going to argue whether it's a bad thing or not (it
probably would eventually be bad), just that it's possible.

-George