Re: crc error in 2.1.106

Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 17:43:17 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 14 Jun 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> change the offset that breaks from 0x7c00 to 0x0, and the 0x7c10
> to 0x10. (it has a comment "any unused memory location < 64K"
> and "corresponding HMA address" respectively.. It obviously isn't
> unused for everybody - it's safe if you boot directly off a raw
> floppy, but not with certain bootloaders).
>

> The proper fix is probably to save and restore the value we use for
> testing, but in the meantime I'd like to hear whether the above works..

FYI, on my Pentium (ASUS T2P4 mainboard), the CRC error
occurs when booting a zImage from floppy (made using "make zdisk")
but _not_ when booting a zImage from a hard drive using lilo.
At first, I thought my floppy drive had gone bad...
The proposed fix works fine for me.

/Mikael