Re: e2fs + large disk == slug?

Richard Jones (rjones@orchestream.com)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:45:46 +0000

Rogier Wolff wrote:

> Mark Lehrer wrote:
> >

> > I am not a filesystem expert, but I would like to understand what
> > makes e2fs slow on my 4.5 gig partition; and if someone is working on
> > performance and would like some help, please holler. Some slow
> > operations, kernel 2.0.34:
> >
> > 1) removing 500 megs of files took 30 seconds.
> > 2) fsck of course.
>
> 3) Mounting large filesystems takes a long time: 46 seconds / 12G

With our 41 GB ext2 partition (:-) on a disk which manages about
16 MBytes/sec continuous throughput:

Mount: 2 minutes
FSCK: about 30 minutes (the fs is only about 25% full)

[both measured with 2.1.105]

The fsck is a real problem. I can see it taking a long time
when we start to fill the disk. Apart from writing a journalling
filesystem from scratch, has anyone got any suggestions about
how to improve fsck times?

Rich.

PS. Removing files is a lot quicker with 2.1 than with 2.0. However,
2.1 seems to lock the directory while files are removed. Thus
if you remove, say, a 1 GB file from a directory, other processes
hang in TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE if they happen to access the directory
(they run again when the file is deleted). With 2.0 this doesn't
happen.

--
Richard Jones rjones@orchestream.com Tel: +44 171 598 7557 Fax: 460 4461
Orchestream Ltd.  125 Old Brompton Rd. London SW7 3RP PGP: www.four11.com