Re: Remote fork() and Parallel programming

Andrej Presern (andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:02:01 +0200

mshar@vax.ipm.ac.ir wrote:
> >So explain to me how the latency of a 4K transfer is going to be lower
> >or the same as a 4 byte transfer (which is all that is required to do
> >the same thing in message passing)?
>
> That is the definition of latency. The times needed to establish a
> connection or close it do not depend on the _amount_ of data transfered.
>
> In _high_speed_ networks, the difference in time for sending 4K bytes and
> 4 bytes is negligible in comparison to the time needed to open and close
> a connection.

There's an OS manufacturer whose products run very fast on high speed
state of the art PCs. Unfortunatelly, I don't have a state of the art
PC, nor do I want to buy a new one every year, so I want to squeeze the
most out from what I've got. Besides, Linux runs faster than the
mentioned OS on a state of the art PC, so I'd prefer to run Linux if I
needed a state of the art PC to get the job done in the first place. I'm
sorry, but this is a new age of rational thinking where every little bit
counts. And it's my rational thinking that wasted resources gradually
add up.

Andrej

--
Andrej Presern, andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si