Re: zilog 8530 SCC based cards

Matthias Welwarsky (matze@stud.fbi.fh-darmstadt.de)
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 11:08:34 +0200

Klaus Kudielka wrote:

> Joerg Reuter wrote:
> > At least the DIL packaged Z8530 varients are pin compatible. But the
> > 85230 isn't worth the price (EUR 16 I think). And the orginal 8530 seems
> > to be out of production.
>
> Well, the Z85230 has one significant improvement: larger FIFO. Without that, I
> wouldn't be able to run 56kbps in interrupt mode. I can't use DMA due to that

Not with PC style environment. You can well do more than 56kbps with an
active card, on a stock Z85C30. About the FIFO: I vaguely remember a
problem with the exception message FIFO getting out of sync with the
Data FIFO, which renders the large buffers a bit useless. It's quite a
pain when you don't know which data byte corresponds to the EOF message
you just received ;-)

Gruss,
Matthias