Re: Remote fork() and Parallel programming

Andrej Presern (andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 23:34:41 +0200

Alan Cox wrote:
> Which is going to cost more - a clean DSM environment thats easy to get
> things running in or a hard to use but slightly more efficient MPI interface
> (and if we are going to argue efficiency you can stick PVM somewere damp
> and hit the flush).
>
> What matters is that the minimal amount of support and no more is in the kernel
> and that the 'user friendly' layers are in the libraries where they impact
> nobody else.
>
> Cluster costs are diving, programmer time is not.

Which is going to cost more: programmer time that you pay for once, or
the total amount of resources that are going to be wasted over the
lifetime of the operating system (and applications that are based on the
OS, [recurse])?

Andrej

--
Andrej Presern, andrejp@luz.fe.uni-lj.si