Re: Swap signature eaten by 2.1.105

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:05:41 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jun 1998, Tim Waugh wrote:
>
> >After netscape had used up about all of my swap space, my Pentium with
> >32Mb went silent. The disks would make noises for under a second, about
> >every 20 seconds or so.

> >That worries me.
>
> Me too ;-).

<AOL>Me Too!</AOL>

Well, besides this AOL block, there's some actual code
on my homepage. This code chooses which process to kill.
Unfortunately, I haven't yet come up with a criteria for
when to start killing processes...
This is not as easy as it seems, because Linux's MM
system has _many_ dynamics going on at once and swap
cache and mmap()ed files pollute the dynamics in such
a way that there's no easy way to decide when we need
to kill off something :(

The file: <http://www.phys.uu.nl/~riel/patches/oom_kill.c>

Rik.