Re: [2.1.105] Cyrix 6x86 reduced to 486

Stephen Kitt (steve@tardis.ed.ac.uk)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 17:08:41 +0100

On Fri, Jun 12, 1998 at 07:07:26PM -0500, Rafael R. Reilova wrote:
[snip]
> Actually, there is a patch for this already, both for 2.1.103+ and
> 2.0.33+. I recently posted the 2.1.103+ version, but from the feedback I
> got (hush... none), it seems either its not a priority right now with all
> the push to get 2.1 stable and ready for 2.2, or I seriously screw-up and
> I'm being ignored ;-)

I saw the patch (just after sending my previous mail in fact), but as Alan
pointed out it doesn't quite fit in to the style requested by Linus. I'll be
giving it a shot after Wednesday (last exam), unless you want to try fixing
your patch - potentially my first public kernel patch...

[snip]
> > I also STR reading somewhere than IDT WinChips can have various
> manufacturer
> > ID's... But that shouldn't affect the Cyrix/Pentium II w/ BX detection.
>
> Can you still find a link to that info? Currently the code only checks
> for the CyrixInstead string (actually just for "Cyri"), if these chips
> also need the cpuid to be enabled, or use the Cyrix devid method of
> idetifying steps/revisions then they will not get identified correctly
> (though it should be safe for PII-BX).

WinChips should be straightforward to detect - they can't report anything
they can't actually do (see Alan's message for more info). IDT have got
documentation on their web site at www.winchip.com; see in particular
http://www.winchip.com/2_detailedspecs.html and the actual datasheet,
http://www.winchip.com/pdf/C6DS.pdf.

Stephen