Re: BUGFIX: 2.1.106 (and earlier) /proc/<pid>/* does not honour setuid(2).

Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM)
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 11:44:03 +0000 (GMT)

Hello guys,

I now disagree with my previous opinion and think that the patch I
submitted (and the corresponding half of Vadim's patch) is incorrect.

In fact, on some other OS things behave in the way I thought are correct
and I even raised a security_all to make things the way like Linux does.

The reason I am changing my mind is (as Alan kindly explained) it is not
secure to update sensitive parts (like mem) of /proc/<pid>/* after the
program changed its identity.

Perhaps we have two choices:

a) leave things as they are now.

b) provide a separate fill_inode() for each (or some) nodes in
/proc/<pid>/* that should honour setuid(2)?

What do you think, people?

Regards,
------
Tigran A. Aivazian | http://www.sco.com/