Re: Behaviour Change Needed in CD-ROM drivers

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 23:04:57 -0600

On Fri, Jun 12, 1998 at 11:15:22PM -0400, Phil's Kernel Account wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 1998, Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> #I will plug in my NEC 251C 4x4 changer this weekend and try to see what
> #the problem is. I _thought_ I had enabled changing to empty slots about
> #a year ago, (you have to twiddle a bit to tell the drive not to complain
> #if I remember correctly).
>
> Heh, I hope you mean FROM empty slots.. ;)
>
> #Anyway, have faith that I will check this out and make it behave.
>
> Groove. Thanks. :)

I only had a few minutes to look into this this evening. The problem you
are seeing is coming from ide-cd.c in ide_cdrom_select_disc where it has
the lines:

if (
#if ! STANDARD_ATAPI
CDROM_STATE_FLAGS (drive)->sanyo_slot == 0 &&
#endif
info->changer_info->slots[slot].disc_present == 0) {
return -ENOMEDIUM;
}

I have not had time to look into this further yet, but rest assured that I
will. Anywhere, this is the test thjat is failing, and causing eject to
not behave. I need to look up LOAD/UNLOAD CD (page 97 of ATAPI v. 2.6 (see
link in ide-cd for the spec) to see why I added code to bailing out on this.
It may be dumbness, or I may have had a reason. Will check.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org