Re: Problem compiling sound in 2.1.106

Thomas Molina (tmolina@probe.net)
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 23:35:05 -0500 (CDT)

So have I lost the ability to build monolithic kernels with sound for
the moment? I'm curious where this is going, since I can't find
anything under Documentation which addresses this issue. I don't recall
anything being said in linux-kernel either.
I'm not going to be a happy camper if modular sound is going to be the
only option.

Issue number two:
Maybe I'm an idiot, but I had a problem applying your ac1 patch to
2.1.106. I patch to the latest kernel using linux/scripts/patch-kernel.
After updating to 2.1.106 I attempted to apply your patch and got the
following:
patching file `drivers/sound/es1371.c'
patching file `drivers/sound/msnd_classic.c'
patching file `drivers/sound/msnd_pinnacle.c'
patching file `drivers/sound/pss.c'
patching file `drivers/sound/sb_audio.c'
patching file `drivers/sound/sb_common.c'
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1281 (offset -8 lines).
patching file `drivers/sound/sonicvibes.c'
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff -u --new-file --recursive --exclude-from ../exclude
linux.vanilla/drivers/sound/sound_core.c
linux/drivers/sound/sound_core.c
|--- linux.vanilla/drivers/sound/sound_core.c Sun Jun 7 20:03:43 1998
|+++ linux/drivers/sound/sound_core.c Sun Jun 14 15:20:49 1998

sound_core.c doesn't seem to exist. I wonder where I went wrong.
I then chose to skip the patch and got the following:
Skip this patch? [y] y
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored
Segmentation fault

I'm using patch-2.5-2 as supplied by RedHat with 5.1. Any clue?