Re: Broken patch-2.1.106 on linux-kernel-patch, do not apply

dlm@g7led.demon.co.uk
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 22:37:34 +0100

Keith Owens wrote:
>..I&=!FOU_R88:KK98$P`` mailed uuencode
>.I&=!FOU_R88:KK98$P`` ftp.kernel.org patch-2.1.106.gz, uuencoded
>`
>end

>So either the mail was corrupted in transit or there are differences in
>uuencode/uudecode. My version is sharutil-4.2-8 (rpm), I get the same
>effect with sharutils-4.2-5. Which version of uudecode do you have?
>What does the last line of your version of the mailed patch say?

My only suggestion is that the extra "." was left in incorrectly
by one of the SMTP servers enroute to you.

The sequence "<CR><LF>.<CR><LF>" terminates a message, so any line those
first character is a "." has an extra "." inserted next to it. This allows
the user to write a line like:

.
^ one full-stop sent on a line on its own!

The server would then remove this extra full-stop from the input. RFC821
Section 4.5.2.

I'm not sure if other protocols (e.g. POP) have similar mechaisms.

--
Darryl Miles