Re: MMX based IP-checksumming patch, 2.1.105, RFC

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 20:11:47 +0200

On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 04:52:58AM -0700, mingo@hal.cobaltmicro.com wrote:

> the core unrolled loop of the csum_partial() function does cold-cache
> checksumming at a speed of 270 MB/sec on my PII box (stock function does
> 210 MB/sec), in-cache performance is 540 MB/sec vs. 350 MB/sec, but for
> most RL MTU's the FPU save/restore operation eats a considerable amount of
> the saved cycles ...

Could you test them against the PPro routines in Davem's tree? They
should be much faster than the ones in the vanilla kernel.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/