Re: SYSENTER based syscalls patch, 2.1.105, RFC

Chris Evans (chris@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Sat, 13 Jun 1998 18:34:26 +0100 (BST)

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998 mingo@hal.cobaltmicro.com wrote:

> the attached patch implements SYSENTER/SYSEXIT based system calls for P6
> type x86 CPUs that support it. (tested only on PII, - K6, PPro anyone?)

Cool!

Mingo, another x86 speed related hack you might want to look into is the
new instructions supported by the PII-333 and faster processors. I think
they introduced new instructions for very fast context switching? Saves
all regs in a buffer in very few clocks I believe.

Have we already made use of this feature or not?

Cheers
Chris

PS.
how much trouble and how much faster are CALL GATES?