Re: OFFTOPIC: e2fsprogs and +2Gb partitions

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:03:37 -0400

From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
Date: 12 Jun 1998 11:41:02 -0700

And a test for the prototype isn't necessary. Simply add a test for
lseek64 and if this function is not available test for llseek with
code like this:

That won't work, because glibc 2.0.7, which ships with Redhat 5.0,
doesn't have lseek64. So if I adopted your suggestion, folks with
RedHat 5.0 who tried recompile e2fsprogs would trash their > 2GB
filesystems. Hence, I still have to test for the prototype.

This is what I mean about compatibility. What I do has to work for all
versions of Linux, not just the bleeding-edge glibc. E2fsprogs will
still work and compile for systems using a.out shared libraries. I just
wish that the glibc developers spent as much time worrying about
backwards compatibility issues as I do....

- Ted